Sunday, September 12, 2010

September 12th
I just got back from church and decided I need to write a blog. I havent written one in awhile, so heres a nice update. I now have my wireless card which I love. Its slow, but it allows me to check email and news more frequently and cheaply. I am unable to skype, but I can use google talk to instant message. If anyone wants to figure that out, my mom did so I am sure she can help. Right now I have been in my village for a little over three weeks. It is wild to think this is the next two years of my life, but also very exciting. I have been talking with various people around the village on needs, but I want to get involved with larger groups. I want to be able to dicuss issues with larger groups of people at once. I know that I want to start some after school clubs at the secondary and maybe even the primary schools. I need to start finding teachers who will support it enought to continue after I am gone. I also think that I am going to do some empowerment seminars to raise awareness of the changes that will happen once the road is finished. I have had dinner at a few houses now, its nice to know that I have people in my area that are looking out for me and won't let me starve. In a few weeks the some of the older volunteers in the surronding area are putting on a girls confrence. They are bringing five girls from nine different schools for a few days in one of the larger city. I am going to try and make it out for that to see how it works. In my village there is a large market day twice a month. It is huge and people come from all over to check out all the goods. It is nice because they have a ton of clothes that you can sort through and other odds and ends. You really can find anything you need at this place. Its like a giant flea market without the booths. Its is more or less on tarps on the ground. I just bought a couch which I am very excited about. It should be finished tomorrow, its made out of wood I have to get the cushions made separatly, but its fun bargaining for days. The price started at 80000 TSH and I got it down to 35000 TSH. I was pretty pleased with myself. I have been cooking about once or twice a day. When the volunteers get together from the surronding area we love to try and cook American food. Last time is was one of the girls birthdays and we made chocolate cake! It turned out so good. I don't know if I am used to Tanzanian cooking or what, but it was AMAZING. In the second week of October there is a group of volunteers that are trying to come and climb the mountain. I am so excited. I can not wait to look at the base, then climb it and look out over the land from the top. I guess people are able to climb it in one day if you start out in the morning. I can't wait to let you all know how that goes. As for everything else, its all about the same. No big changes. Just trying to get the house more situated and trying to get to know more and more people everyday. I love and miss you all so much. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job on the bargaining!! I'm very impressed! I'm also excited for you to climb the mountain! I love you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. You have officially been gone for three months to the day!! Wow- time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Justin,
    Your plans sound awesome. I am so proud of you. Maybe I should send you a cookbook. I don't want you to starve either :-) I'm so happy the people there are being more gracious and accepting of you. I knew you'd win them over.
    Miss you - Love you. Always in my prayers.
    Love,
    Aunt Jude (your "favorite" aunt)

    ReplyDelete