Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October 5th

Happy Birthday Theresa! I love you!
I just got back from a trip to my banking town. As I talked about in my last blog nine volunteers were hosting a girls empowerment seminar. The seminar was five days long, but I made it in for the last one. It was cool to see 50 girls coming together from around the region to discuss the same issues. The learned everything about basic sanitary needs for girls to having open discussions. They also had presentations on goal setting and family planning. I only saw a few hours of the confrence, but from the smiles on the other volunteers and the girls faces I could tell it was a complete success. While I was there I discussed putting on a guys confrence in March. We want to reach boys who are at the age of going onto secondary school. This will reach the kids who might not have the oppurtunity for information like this in the future. I am really excited to see how that works out.
This up coming weekend we are climbing the mountain. If I have emailed any of you in the past week its all I can talk about. I am so excited to see how hard it actually is, and how beautiful the area looks from that high up. The mountain is a day climb/hike so we are able to return home that same day. There is going to be about 8 volunteers in total climbing, so we will be safe mom ;).
Some other issues I have been dealing with right now is writing my report on the town. I have been in contact with a few people in high positions to discuss statistics, but this is going to be harder than originally thought. I am trying to set up a meeting with a widows group to see how it is run, and ask them some questions. I also am trying to get in contact with the person who is running the AIDS/HIV education for the area to see what is set up, and what needs assistance. I am still trying to get my foot in the door at the secondary school, but right now is nation testing for the graduating class, so they are busy for the next few weeks. Our next training for all of the new peacecorps volunteers in my class is Dec 4th-17th. It is going to be in Morogoro town. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about that part of the country. At this training we will all be presenting our reports. We also will have some education on AIDS and writing grants and of course some language touch-ups. It is going to be so nice to see everyone, and hear all the wonderful stories.
As of now I don't have plans for Christmas or New Years. I know that the missionaries are trying to have a Thanksgiving dinner for all of the Peacecorps volunteers in the region, which will be so nice. Originally before everyone left for their sites we talked about traveling somewhere after IST to celebrate Christmas and New Years together. I know something will work out.
I have still be running. I am still trying to work off all the weight that I gained from homestay. I have been trying to run a different way everytime I go. This gives me the oppurtunity to see more of the area and it also gives me the oppurtunity to meet more people if I get tired and need to walk. In Feburary there is a 5k/(1/2)marathon/marathon at the base of Killimanjaro. That is the largest mountain in Africa. I have my eyes set on running the (1/2) marathon, but we will see how my feet hold up. It is a big get together for alot of peacecorps volunteers to run or watch.
I think that is about it right now... keep emailing me and keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. If there is anything that you want to know about my daily life or anything about the region dont be afraid to ask. I am jut kind of writing whatever comes to mind at that point, so if you ask questions these might be a little more focused.
Love you all,
Justin
P.S. Shout out to Kelsey Kloberdanz for the package thanks a million!

3 comments:

  1. Great seeing another post. Especially one on such an important day!!! Good luck with setting up a conference for the young men - it definitely is a worthwhile cause. I'm sure it will be huge success. Will be thinking and praying for you and all of your hiking friends this weekend. Wishing you great weather and a fantastic experience! Love and Miss you Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the birthday shout out! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Those pictures of the mountain are absolutely amazing and awesome. I can't believe you actually climbed it. I quit after the 8k walk to the base. What a story you'll be able to tell. As always,thinking about you, missing you, and praying for you everyday.
    love,
    aunt jude (your favorite aunt)

    ReplyDelete